Tuesday, April 17, 2007

cookies, but not cookies.


On Sunday, I whipped up a batch of Raw Oatmeal Cacao Nib Kookies. Well... I was missing a number of ingredients so I made a few adjustments. I'm not sure it even counts as being the same recipe! Obviously I didn't read through it very well before going grocery shopping - I bought dates specifically for these (first time buying dates ever) but my eyes stopped at the first ingredient!

These are raw cookies, i.e. no baking. I didn't have cacao nibs, so I used chocolate chips instead, which changes the essence of the cookie, but I'm cool with that. They are very similar to the energy balls that Wendy shared with me. They don't seem like cookies to me, more like a healthy snack, and I've been enjoying them for breakfast or as a snack during the conference, although they get a little messy away from the refrigerator.

Conference? What conference? Why, the IAPA Health & Safety 2007 Conference. Here's Craig Kielburger, one of the keynote speakers:


I volunteered to attend because Stephen Lewis is also speaking at the conference. (oh yeah, and work paid for it) But I am enjoying the H&S seminars! I find the workplace wellness-type topics interesting, but the two sessions I attended on ergonomics were duds.

The swag bag is hilarious - safety glasses and ear plugs. Sweet!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I actually contemplated using real chocolate chips instead of the cacao nibs! I think next time I will :-) They definitely don't have the doughy texture of cookies, but I do like them for a snack. The nuts make them so filling, too!

lanipeeps said...

The chocolate chips worked well! The brand name escapes me at the moment, but the chips I used were vegan and organic. I reduced the amount of sweetener by a little bit to compensate for the semi-sweet chocolate. They are an awesome snack - I'll be making more this weekend!