Wednesday, April 11, 2007

green goo soup.

We finally made a vegan meal - I needed a break after all the cheese and eggs from Easter. (We still have 7 hard boiled eggs... expect egg salad tomorrow.)

I had an idea for a green soup, to use up the kale, collards and spinach that we had in the fridge. We were going to base it on a recipe that I found on the internet ages ago, but when I looked it up in my recipe book, well... I had remembered something totally different! So we made it up as we went along.

We started with the basics: onions, garlic, celery. Added chopped up collards, red curly kale and spinach. Tossed in two potatoes to thicken it up. Vegetable broth, coriander, ginger, tumeric, mustard seed, cayenne, salt and pepper make it tasty. Puree.

It doesn't look too good.... but what's that over on the left?

I liked how Chris at Eat Air served rice with his black bean soup, so I made the Almond Rice Balls from ExtraVeganZa to have with the soup.


They are kind of bland on their own, but they went perfectly with the soup! Delish!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elana,
We make the almond rice balls a lot and agree they can be bland, so, we saute onions, garlic and throw in some carrots. We have to modify the consistency to get them to form but it all works out then we chow down, well, once we have baked them. Tahini, lemon and tamari makes a great sauce for them if you bring them on a picnic or for lunch at work.

lanipeeps said...

Hi Wendy,
Great idea! I didn't measure the tamari, so maybe I didn't put in enough. I'll definitely make them again, so I'll try some of your suggestions. Mmm they were so easy to make and they look impressive, just need a little more pizzazz.