Friday, December 05, 2008

belly dance rehab

Michelle Joyce started a thread on Bhuz with a challenge to take 90 dance classes in 90 days - any type of dance class counts, and other fitness/yoga/pilates classes count as half. (When an alcoholic starts AA they are told to do 90 meetings in 90 days, that's where the rehab/90 days thing comes from.)

A ton of Bhuzzers signed up to join Michelle! And the details were modified by each person to fit their situation - doing a video, dance practice, 90 hours in 90 days instead of practice, etc. It's amazing to see so many belly dancers inspired to improve themselves and further the dance form!

Now, I can hardly commit to this... I have been trying to practice every day since I'm unemployed, and it hasn't happened. I am dying to take more classes but can't afford it right now. I'm going to ask for some belly dance DVDs for Christmas, so that should help. :)

That being said, I have been inspired to step up my practice schedule! And I started today!! I'm going to post my practice log here as a record and to keep me motivated. Plus the blog could use some more content. :)

Belly Dance Rehab - Day 1

  • warm up
  • waves - standing series
  • shimmy to Shik Shak Shok: Egyptian, single leg, ballet, twist **hip shimmy needs work
  • veil: went through my list of veil moves, did some simple veil combos, walked through veil intro that I learned in my private lesson with Zahira
  • zylls: longa to 5 min. song, long variations, saidi, moving around while zylling
  • Hadia choreography and staging

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I'd seen the challenge when it started! Looks like the thread has died or I would sign up. Maybe I should do it, just for my own satisfaction!